Friday, June 15, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Home again, home again, jiggity jig! I had a full day of traveling yesterday which ended at the Richmond airport last night. I've been getting used to the jet lag today--I was wide awake at 7am because my body thought it was noon!


It was definitely bittersweet leaving Europe. Sad to leave my team who I'd gotten close to and sad to leave the students at the London universities that I had been developing friendships with. But also exciting to be coming home and being with my family and friends again...and to step it up on my co-MOH duties (MOH = "maid of honor"...for Laura's upcoming wedding!).


Recap of the last few days: For our time of debrief, the London team arranged for us to take a 3-day trip to Paris to debrief. Sounds crazy because its Paris...but really its only a 2-hour train ride via the Eurostar. So last Sunday, we attended church in London in the morning and then went to King's Cross to catch the train. We arrived in Paris and made our way to our hotel. Then we met up with the Paris summer project team at a small church. They led us in a time of worship and prayer. It was so cool and encouraging to connect with this team and to spend time listening how their ministry on Paris campuses was going and sharing how our time on London campuses had gone. There are definitely similarities in the types of students that go to Paris and London universities...as seen in the widespread apathetic views towards spiritual issues or deeper questions in life. I loved this night we spent with the Paris project. So cool to see how we could connect with these brothers and sisters in Christ--even though we had never met before.

Praise & worship with the Paris summer project team
The next morning we spent debriefing with a few members of the London staff. They wanted us to evaluate the project and give them feedback on things we liked and didn't like about how the trip. It was a good and honest conversation and I appreciated the humility of the staff to listen to us and respect the suggestions we voiced.

The rest of the day was spent walking around (we saw the Arc de Triomphe and Notre Dame!) and we had pizza beneath the Eiffel Tower and then walked up it! I loved experiencing this incredible structure. What was especially cool was watching the sun set while we were up at the top. I loved seeing all these people around me--from all parts of the world--becoming so excited about the sunset and the picturesque scene it created. It struck me even while overlooking this gorgeous city...it was seeing the beauty of something not created by human hands that stirred something deep within all of us. It brought to life Paul's words:

"For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." --Romans 1:20 


View from the top of the Eiffel Tower
The next day about 7 of us went on a Fat Tire Bike Tour around Paris. This was probably the highlight from the brief stay we had in Paris. I loved following our guide (from Texas...said he led Young Life in college!) around the streets and seeing all of the major sites. I would highly recommend doing these bike tours whether you're in any of the European cities they have them in (Paris, London, Barcelona, and Berlin).
Bike tour

With Liz on our bikes

The next morning we spent a long time in the morning debriefing. We spent time alone and in a big group discussing what the Lord taught us over the past month doing ministry and living in community. I have learned over the past year or two that I am often slow at processing. So I know that there is still a lot more that the Lord will keep showing me and that I'll keep realizing...but one thing/lesson keeps popping up. When looking back over this month, I've learned that it is okay to be weak. I have trouble asking people for help or admitting weakness in any way. But through things over this past month (my infected eye, being out of my comfort zone in a new city, being rejected by people while doing ministry, becoming emotionally, physically, and mentally drained) I have realized that I am weak. And that is okay. No, not just okay. The Bible tells me to boast in these times of weakness. Not to be ashamed that I can't do it alone. But to rejoice because HE is able and is meeting me in those times.

I am so thankful to each and every one of you who have supported and prayed for my time in London. Thank you for the kind notes and emails I have received. They mean more to me than you'll ever know. I still can't believe that the Lord made it possible for me to go to such an amazing city and to meet people from all over the world and tell them about the hope of salvation through Jesus. Please join me in praying for London whenever you can. It is a city full of people putting their identity in money, job status, and possessions. Pray for their hearts to be opened to the Gospel. Pray also for the full-time London Agape staff. They are a small team and there is a huge need. Pray for the seeds my team planted in people's hearts while we were there. God bless!

One of my favorite verses is John 3:30-- "He must become greater, I must become less."
London

No comments:

Post a Comment